Wednesday, December 2, 2015

A story caught on Facebook

We love the way sometimes people who know us and know we are story collectors will let us know about a good one they have read somewhere. This one was spotted by our friend, Michael Callahan. Mike is a comedian and has contacts with many other comics around the country. Darlene Westgor is a comic friend of his from the Twin Cities. She recently posted a wonderful, but sad, story on Facebook. I contacted Darlene to see if we could use it and she agreed. (Comics must be so good at story catching because they are always looking for the humor, and sometimes tragic humor, in life.)

Darlene's story:

Back in the 80's I worked in a record shop in Chicago. Hooked up with the manager at the time cause he had a high rise apt and I was impressed. He knew music had a sick sound system and a lighted pedestal bed. (You heard me) Yadda, Yadda, Yadda, I moved on. For the past 25 years, this guy has sent me cards for every occasion, no matter where I lived. At first I thought it was crazy, Mother's Day, Easter, Christmas, my birthday. but then I assumed he was just a letter writer. Thing is, he never left a return address. I tried to look him up, the guy was of the grid. I didn't pay much attention to it but he had missed some occasions and I just knew. For the first time, I googled his name and found his obituary. And that he died 'suddenly'. It really, really messed me up. Someone I haven't seen in over 20 years. Fucking awful.

No comments:

Post a Comment