Monday, December 7, 2015

A Pearl Harbor Day Story



My friend, Peggy Walter, sent me this story. 

In 1941 my Mom, Margaret Quirk (19) and Dad, Kenneth Michael (21) were working and living with relatives in St. Paul. On Dec 7 they were on their way to their parents homes to tell them they wanted to be married. Enroute they heard about the bombing of Pearl Harbor. Afraid that their parents would tell them to wait until the war was over to get married, they went back to St. Paul, and my Mother wrote their parents a letter instead. They were married on Jan. 23, 1942. Not long afterwards my Dad enlisted in the Navy. He was sent to France where he participated in the Invasion of Normandy. He was gone for 4 years. Every year on Dec 7, my Mom calls and says: "Do you know what your Dad and I were doing on this day in 1941?" I always let her tell the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment