Saturday, November 5, 2016

Anniversary of draft date



September 8, 2016
I was drafted 50 years ago today. It was my 20th birthday. We went by bus from Primghar, Iowa to Sioux Falls, South Dakota where they counted us off by twos. The twos went to the Marines and the ones went to the Army. I was a one. It was my first close call. On our way to basic training at Fort Bliss, Texas we had a two hour layover in Denver. None of us draftees were old enough to buy a beer at the airport. We were pissed. That turned out to be the least of my worries for the next two years. Anyway, I'm happy to have made it home in one piece, that's for sure. And now I'm an old man. That's really good. Maybe I will have that beer today just to catch up.
Robert Idso
St. Peter, Minnesota

No comments:

Post a Comment