Sunday, February 7, 2016

On Depression

On Depression
Lonely and sad at heart
I sought soul’s consolation
I wandered down the city streets
Down to the place where rivers meet,
But nothing could my soul entreat-
Weary was I.

Weary and tired of life
I had no strength within me,
A heaviness engulfed my soul
Obliterating every goal,
My thinking was without control-
Quiet my tongue.

Quiet and all alone
Despite the friends about me,
Their gaiety and tenderness
Could not dispel the loneliness,
Nor sleep erase the weariness-
Hopeless was I.

Helpless against a foe
Returning without notice,
No armor can its sword deflect
Nor can the mind its source detect,
But man can face his foe erect,
For God, in time, heals all.

Healing, in time, will come
I know not how or where,
The heaviness will disappear
Life’s purpose again be clear,
My heart shall rise above life’s fear-
And I shall sing!



Bella Creel

1958

No comments:

Post a Comment