Monday, October 2, 2017

Crystal Whopper, Memories of Mom by David Bengtson


For those who may not be familiar with the story of the Crystal Whopper:

The Burger King Waterford Crystal Whopper (Chairman's Award) was presented to my mom, Ruth Bengtson, by John Dasberg (BK Chairman, President, & CEO) on the MGM Grand stage in Las Vegas in 2002. She was one of 10 recipients worldwide chosen from thousands of BK employees nominated by local BK stores.


Because my dad had passed away, my mom asked me to be her companion on the trip to Las Vegas, which included air fare, chauffeur service, three days and two nights at the MGM Grand. So I was there for all of the festivities. I was retired; my mom was 79 and still working 40 hours a week at BK.

At the time, she had also been working for 38 years as a crossing guard for the City of Cranston (RI). Twice a day (morning, afternoon), she would slip into the walk-in freezer at BK (the only private place in the store, she said) and change into her crossing guard uniform, then drive a couple of miles in her PT Cruiser to St. Mark’s School.

In the morning, after she finished crossing her kids, she’d drive back to BK and change again in the freezer to complete her eight-hour shift. In the afternoon after she had finished her crossing guard responsibilities, she could head for home. He work at BK and the school was done for the day.

When Marilyn and I toured Waterford Crystal in Ireland in 2003, I asked one of the artisans if he remembered the Crystal Whopper. He did! In fact, he said he worked on it! Twenty-five were made, and then they broke the mold.

My mom worked for Burger King for 39 years. She was the first employee to be hired by Nick Janikies, who opened the first BK in Rhode Island at the corner of Park and Reservoir Avenues.

After my mom passed away on April 1, 2017, my three younger brothers chose me to be "The Keeper of the Crystal Whopper," a responsibility I take very seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment